Saturday, December 16, 2006

Royal's Letter to Martha early December

Two more letters to go. I was in LA all week and got back with a slight case of the flu. We bought a tree last weekend and it is sitting bare in the living room. Getting presents wrapped and mailed has taken over the priorities.

Note Royal talks about joking. Martha must have warned him about her father who was a great practical joker and loved to tease. He was known to tease to the point that he would make the girls cry. When Royal did arrive Bill had put up signs in several places along the country roads saying, "This way to Martha's".

You might also note Royal uses a rather risque quote from Mae West, "come up and see me sometime". It was underlined in the letter.

RLR


Dear Martha,

I guess I don’t tell you everything. I have not been in the play for some time. I shifted my part, as it did not fit in well with my other work. The name of the play is "Go Easy Mabel". It will be given as a matinee Friday afternoon, and as a night performance Friday Evening. It’s quite a modern play. I sure don’t know just how well it will go over.

I thought Gretchen’s birthday was the same day as yours? I am sorry the glass was broken. I shall buy you another frame if you will wait until I come. It was not an expensive frame but it did look very nice. That picture was taken two years ago. It does not show all of my gray hairs. Nor my wrinkles. I did think it very good.

As soon as I know when I shall come I shall write you more definitely. I am sure to have one or more passengers. I don’t know how many or who they will be.

It snowed a light snow last night. We have had some grand weather, with the temperature just below freezing even at night.

I can take all the jokes if your folks will just give me the daughter. I don’t mind jokes. I am quite a joker myself. Sometimes they rebound rather uncomfortably in my case.

I know the names of our mules at home, but cows change to often to have names. I hope Martha got better.

I got a lot of work done at the office last night. I am secretary for the Baca Co Ed Assn. I put my time trying to get all the books up to date.

I have a new heater on the car. It surely does warm up. With this and my trusty Coneco Touraide I am sure I shall come right to your arms. That is if you have your arms at Ambia, and don’t have someone else occupying them at the time. If so I’ll just drive around the block and wait my turn, Or maybe I’ll decide I shall see your sister? Of course I love you and I am living only to "come up and see you sometimes", but I could not help but think what would I do gracefully, if such thing did happen.

The pay for the picture? Will, I guess I get one in return. I agree to present said picture and keep same in good repair for a similar article of the said Martha Moore.

Gotta go to school. I love Martha

yours,

Royal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home