Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha #25

So here we finally have the new car. Gunmetal must be gray and he is getting a radio. Also note he "dozed" in church. I've been there myself.
RLR

Sunday Eve.

Dearest Martha,

This has been a rapid-fire weekend. Football game Friday night, circulated Petition Saturday morning, went to Church and Sunday school this a.m., to a birthday dinner, to the creek for sand, and to school and worked on the aquarium and window boxes. It is now six, Mr. Lewis was just in to see about going to church tonight. I wanted to go to Two Buttes to hear Dr. George Verity a brother of one of the county’s grand old men. He is a missionary in China, and talked in this country about ten years ago. We shall most probably stay home and perhaps go to church here.

The new, gunmetal, V-8 Tudor with built-in-trunk works quite well. I am quite well pleased with it. It may have a radio installed in it when you see it at Christmas. I paid nearly twenty-five dollars for insurance and signed a note for three- ninety-five. I really did need it quite bad. And it is going to be fine.

The football game was a thriller last Friday night. Score 0 – 0. The first time in History that Springfield has ever held Lamar in football. They have beaten them a lot of times in basketball. We play Las Aninas here Friday afternoon all the stores are closing during the game. We will have a large crowd of enthusiastic rooters.

All that I have told you in this letter indicates that you should be here, helping me to make adjustments in this community. It is awful hard for a single man to be properly adjusted to make a good school Supt.

Monday Morning 7:15

Mr. Lewis and I went to church. I dozed off several times. I just could not keep awake. I came home and fooled around for some time before I went to sleep. I then went to sleep with the radio on and woke up later and turned it off. It may have been much later.

Mr. Lewis and I are going to Lamar to see the "Gorgeous Hussy" tonight. That is if I can get my six weeks grades figured out.

I am going to the grade school just after nine today to observe the 1st grade teacher. She is having something special.

I have been listening to the breakfast club. They are singing their final song so that means it is seven-thirty and time I ate breakfast and got to school.

Martha dear I surely wish you were here to go to this show with us. You could also help break in the new car.

Yours with love,

Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home