Saturday, December 02, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha assumed written 11-27-1936

It's Martha's birthday but I don't think Royal has been able to find out her actual birthday. He is carrying a map (touraide) and has been pouring over it and planning his trip which is to start in less than four weeks. He is looking for company on the trip partly to share costs and partly so he is not alone for the long trip. He seems to be good at games. Notice he wins at "Big Business" which must have been something like Monopoly.

I have only a few more letters left and hopefully I will get him to Indiana before Christmas.

RLR

Friday Morning

Dearest Martha,

Thanksgiving and turkey are over. We are at my sister Lydia’s. It was a lovely dinner with turkey and the fixin’s. I ate so much I had indigestion all afternoon. We played "Big Business" during the afternoon. I finally cleaned up with all the money and all the states. I took my touraide from the Conoco Oil Co. and showed them the trip I am taking at Xmas time. Maybe you have heard tell of the same.

When is your school out? Certain things might cause me to start before the 22nd but I think not before that time. I’m angling for passengers all time. I may not have to come alone after all.

I thought a lot about you yesterday. I suppose the Thanksgiving dinner will fall our lot next year. A lot of things can be planned when I see you Xmas. None of my plans for coming are definite yet, but will have to be changed to suit what passengers I may get.

I am back in Springfield this morning ready to start work. As a matter of fact I got up before it was light this morning. I want to work on my thesis do some bookkeeping, and work with the fish and flowers. Mr. Lewis went with the football team yesterday. He will go home to see his family today (50 miles). The score of the game was 6 – 6. Referee was plenty dirty I guess.

I’ll write again tomorrow. I guess you’ll get there when you get back from the vacation.

Yours with Love,
Royal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home