Thursday, November 16, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha #28 written Nov 4, 1936

I don’t want your rambling letters
I don’t want your picture framed
All I want is you beside me
And a change to change your name

Words from song at Tucson Blue Grass Festival Oct 2006

Royal’s letter to Martha #28 written Nov 4, 1936

Wednesday Eve
New Kenmark Hotel
Denver, Colorado

Dearest,

I find that I love you in Denver as I do on the plains of Baca County. We got in here about six. We window shopped a short time ate a bowl of chili and sat in the hotel lobby and read for more than two hours. (Mr. Lewis & I compose "we") and Eads Student came part way with us. You can naturally know how I feel to be back in Denver and not have you. It is almost unbearable. I told Mr. Lewis in the lobby tonight you meant all to me and that we should get married just as soon as you would say the word. Shall we go to someplace when I come Christmas and get married, or shall we get married at your home?

I may go to Greeley Sat., but nothing is definite as yet. If Mr. Lewis goes to Ft Collins I may go and let him drop me off there. I had a letter from the Linchion Lane [?] suggesting such an arrangement.

Mr. Bohlender, the ex-school prin. was badly defeated in the election. This was a bit unfortunate, but I really don’t believe it will effect our school situation a great deal. I certainly feel sorry for he and wife. Santa Claus is bringing them another child about Xmas. It looked like a clean sweep, but the scandal on the former Supt. put everything in a cocked hat.

It is past ten o’clock and I must turn in, but remember dear, that of all the faces I shall see the one that really makes a difference won’t be there. I’ll grin and bear it then marry that sweet face a Christmas time when I journey back to the Hoosier state to see her.

Goodnight sweetheart, I’ll always love you.

Yours,
Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home