Monday, November 20, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha #31 Late November 1936

Dearest Martha,

Today has been another red-letter day for me. Everything to make a fellow go crazy has happened. Mr. Morris blew up and went frantically mad at play practice. Mr. Lewis informed me that I was of the old school and what else I don’t know. But really I came through in rather good style and I am able here at ten o’clock to write (even sit up) Maybe I won’t have a job a year from now, but if I don’t I can get on relief, or maybe the old age pension. A man that teaches school needs a wife with patience of Job and a great broad understanding. If you were just here we would talk things over and I am sure everything would be OK.

A good administrator cannot be stampeded when the mob goes but must stand and look far ahead and see the final result rather than be excited about the present.

I played a little ping-pong tonight. Just as a matter of relaxation. I do love to play, but I never have time to play enough to really learn how. It would be nice to have a home large enough so one could have room for such.

I’m going to bed because I’m getting up soon after six in the morning. I will write again in the Morning.

Love,
Royal

Yes, I did get up at six as planned. I am cleaned up clean as a pin, and I am now ready to go to school.

Darling, I certainly need you here now. There have been times when I just knew I needed you more and more. I guess I’ll see (I know) see you in about four more weeks, but the time will be so short. But I’m sure plans can be made for long future. Darling I could wait for years if I knew you were to be at the end of the wait. I love you.

How did you find out I was to maybe send you a picture. Must be your friend and counterpart wrote that. It’s OK, but I might not be able to do so.

I must ring off get to school and start to work.

I love Martha,
Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home