Sunday, December 31, 2006

Royal's Letter to Martha May 1937

This is the last of the letters I have from before Royal & Martha were married. There is a big gap. This must have been written in early May 1937. So we have a big gap. We don't know what happened except from what we remember from Martha's stories at Christmas time and then there is a gap up to this letter in May. I assume they continued to write but for some reason Martha did not keep those letters or they were lost or maybe they were to personal to pass on. I have a few cards Royal sent I will scan those and include them later. Note their Honeymoon consists of stopping at his sister's in Kansas, then to his Mother's for a few days then off to summer school and a day in the mountains. This was the summer he finished his masters degree. Martha typed his thesis five carbon copies.

Anyway I must get on to other things. Tom sent me links to some pictures on a Kodak web site that shows the "Big" culvert in the Big Sur property. They just put it in and now can go all the way up to the top of their property. The pictures show them gluing special rubber matting down to keep rocks from ripping the culvert up. They also show views from various points on the hill overlooking their valley. I don't know how to down load them so if anyone wants to see them e-mail me and I will send you the link.

Next I will try to put together pictures of the horse barn from dirt to finish.

RLR

Dearest,

I don't know about the trip to Illinois. What do licenses cost there? Would there be a saving?

I planned to spend some time at my sisters taking adjustments. I do feel much better now. In fact I am on the go about sixteen hours per day. I don't know at all that I can come, but I'll enclose a calendar. You check and see if this could meet with your desires. If it is not correct sent it back. I don't know just how long it will take to straighten up here before I leave. You know a good superintendent must leave things in good order.

Now of course if the cost to get hooked is more then maybe we can take up a silver offering.

The senior play is scheduled for tonight. People are getting the first things. I know someone will walk in and want to know if I'm busy. Will I am.

The last three weeks has been stormy. A group of kids went to a music contest and put on a beer party. I believe everything is straight, but I'm not sure.

Write me what you think of the schedule!

Yours with love,
Royal


These are the attachments:

1st

ACTIVITIES

Junior-Senior Banquet ------------- May 10
Baccalaureate ---------------------- May 16
Rev. Young, Baptist Church
Class Night H. S. ------------------- May 18
8th Grade Commencement -------- May 19
H. S. Commencement -------------- May 20

2nd Hand written

Leave Wellington June 3.
Arrive Ambia June 4.
Marriage Ceremony June 8.
Leave Ambia June 8.
Arrive Wellington June 9.
Leave for Springfield June 11.
Leave for Greeley June 14.
Leave for Mts. June 16
Return to Greeley June 17
Registration College June 18
Enter School June 21.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home