Sunday, December 24, 2006

Royal's Letter to Martha #36

This is the last letter I have for 1936. Some how I have it out of place. It should be placed in October 1936, based upon the contents. He talks about the election, which was Nov 3 and the fact that he doesn't have a car yet. I don't know how I missed these when I tried to arrange the letters in order.

Anyway he is off to spend Chrismas with Martha. given his tendency to pun I'm supprised he didn't say, "I want Moore, I want Moore.

I hope everyone has great holidays. It is nice to know that now the days will start to get longer.

RLR

Dearest Martha,

Your letter certainly came in well today. I sat in a poorly lighted room for about an hour this morning and I did not feel so well along about noon. Well, I guess I don’t bang doors only when I’m mad, but you and I must not get mad at least not both at the same time.

Mr. Lewis and I are hitching quite well on most things. I really think we are quite like minded – maybe he just gives in. Mr. Austin, the grade school principal is also a fine fellow to work with.
Our football team beat Eads by the one-sided score of 65 – 0. We play Lamar this Friday evening. This will be a good game – Lamar have the advantage as our boys play under the lights. We have a chance, but not fifty-fifty.

Yes, I love to walk when I have companionable people to walk with. I believe you and I have walked several places, have we not my dear?

I don’t know just as if I’ll come Christmas if I am going to have to beat all the carpet form you. But really I think anything I did for you would be a pleasure. Anyway let’s use a vacuum cleaner!

The preacher here insists that people can let a few things go. He says, "After all what business can compare in importance with the Lord’s"? I believe in God and church, but not in same way as some.

The inner office is small, and I had the door taken down so there is not a partition between the offices. The Board suggests we wait until after the election for the desk. It is their idea that we may be able to get plenty of desks from government offices that are being discontinued.
You have probably guessed that I am following your letter and answering your writing. I had rather start in June on less than wait a year and start on more. Life is too short to put our marriage off another year.

Say dear, none are so helpless as those that refuse to learn. It may even be possible for a woman to have knowledge about home making that makes them very unpractical. Our Home EC. Teacher has ideas that could not be put in use in N.Y. City or London.

9:40 pm.
Mr. Lewis and I have just returned from Lodge. It certainly was fine to see all the brothers again. You will be eligible
for Eastern Star by June of 1937. That will be a good way for you to get started with some of the women here – Go into Eastern Star – maybe you have already. Excuse mw if I have made an error, but the Monsonic Lodge is an organization of high ideal – even if the revivalist does think it a work of the devil. It will [be] grand to really live instead of just existing.

It is raining a little here tonight.

Here is a joke told in the lodge tonight. A man appeared on a stage, and he noticed that his audience was composed largely of expectant mothers waiting for their children to arrive.
I feel tonight as if I should rather see you, look into your eyes, kiss you, feel your head on my arm, look and see you beside me than all else in the world. But all things come to those who wait. I sometimes feel as if we will have to almost get acquainted again – it has been so long.

I have not been to a show since we went in Denver. When I get a car I must go and take Mr. Lewis and four of the women teachers. They have been quite nice to us. We played bridge with them for a while one evening and we were guests at dinner another. Sweetheart don’t you ever worry, because you are my sweetheart, and anything I do shall be solely to meet my social obligations. We can meet these obligations much better when we get established next year. We can really live.

Your last letter seem to indicate that you had become a bit better settled. All the trouble with both of us can most probably be traced to the age-old ailment called LOVE. Ever hear of it? I have and am experiencing it. Really, it [is] kinda fun if one lives through it. Please don’t get on some "Slicker" and leave me out.

I had to buy a Gladstone bag the other day. I am planning a trip, starting Wednesday morning December 23, and lasting until about Jan. 3. I plan to visit a very dear friend, and wife to be in the state of Indiana perhaps you have heard of her, a certain Martha Moore. Could be called postscript – she makes a fellow want more. Tell her I shall be there with bells on.

I’m afraid I can’t bring a ring, but maybe I can stop at a near by town and give her a ring – Original Scotchman. I always take the wife’s false teeth when I leave so she won’t eat between meals.

I must cut this rambling and tell you what I wanted to write you about. There is a little matter that concerns us both, and that I have intended breaking to you for some time. Failure on my part to have done this, neglect of this, or failure to perform this little chore might change the entire course of our natural or unnatural existence together. The information is not that Mutt is taller than Jeff, but that I Royal F Rutherford being in sound mind, and of perfect health do Love one Martha Moore.

More, & more.

Yours,
Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home