Saturday, October 14, 2006

Royal's letter #21 assumed written 10/13/1936

Tuesday Eve.
Dearest Martha,

I am sure that the State Inspector must have looked into your classroom and fronded terribly, but of course all was well when you braised your eyebrows. That smile of yours would knock any of them cold. Of course none of you will get fired, or be in anyway jeopardized. The commerce dept will check well ahead of the other depts. Of course I am correct.

Today is a grand day here. I have seen few more beautiful evenings in my life. Not a cloud in sight, and the day not too hot or too cold. I am afraid this evening will be at least partially wasted, as it would be a swell time for romance. I suppose I can go to the revival, but that fails to seem very romantic to me. We could enjoy a drive if you were here and I were so fortunate as to have a car. Sense I am Supt. (please excuse color, I poured all the black down the sink) I can’t afford to have a car.

Seriously, I am trying to figure out how I can get on top the earth financially, pay my insurance, and buy a car. I’ll do me best and I’ll have a good financial head to help next year. I need a new overcoat on top of all else. I’ll try to get my Masters finished next summer, and at least you’ll get a man with a M.A. degree.

The preacher has almost appropriated our school program now. He gave a meeting for boys at eleven today, one for girls at 2:30 today, and will give a meeting for boys at ten Thurs. and Fri. We excuse any boys that want to go. Between this and the World Series we won’t have much school this week. He talked to the boys on venereal diseases this am. His errors outnumbered his facts, but I should worry.

I am sorry your father does not like his V8. Maybe he does not like fellows who contemplate buying v-8’s and stealing his daughter either. Maybe he will not be too sorry about either in the years to come.

10:15
I have just come from Walsh. I went with Mr. Lewis to take Shonts Stein and Dorris Dickey to the concert. The concert was good for the second time. The school refused to place the piano on the stage this lessened the effect of the piano, but was quite good anyway.

All teachers go to church again tomorrow evening.

7:03 Thursday (all ready for school)
It is foggy here; however the weather forecast says clear and warm.
I wish you were here to tell me just how my office should be arranged just right. I am going to ask the board to buy me a typewriting desk for the outer office and the secretary.

I slept like a log last night. I always sleep good. I usually read for a few minutes until I get sleep. Then switch out the light and off to sleep. The only thing I need to have everything perfect is you. I miss you everyday in everything I do.

I have been listening to the news report. It seems that Illinois has the communist presidential candidate in jail. From the news report I think his attorney gave the same address for him as he gave in Greeley. Correction Earl Browder is in Terre Haute, Indiana in the jail. I just heard that Norman Thomas had sent a telegram to President Roosevelt protesting.

I have been up and coming this week. I can’t think of any week of my life that I have felt better. I go to the office about seven-thirty every morning. That means that I had better get the breakfast food swallowed kiss you good bye and be on my way. (Perhaps, I’ll need to imagine the latter).

Yours with love,
Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home