Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha #17assumed written 9/26/1936

Here Royal visits "home", the farm in Vilas where his Mom & Brother Bill live. Then he goes back "home" his room at the boarding house in Springfield. He is moving to a smaller room to save a little money.

He talks about his older brother who has several thousand acres to plant, this must be Turk. Again it is the dust bowl times and there has been little rain or snow. Turk must be planting winter wheat. I think you plant in the fall and harvest in the spring or early summer.

He is still working on getting his car. his style of trading required lots of jawing and offers and counter offers.

He was always a workaholic. He spent long hours in preparing for his jobs. As a school administrator this often involved late nights and Saturday and Sunday. Then he would work most of the summer. If there was anything happening at the school he would be there. Even in his fifties, when he was just a teacher, Mom would drop him at Edison HS and go to her work at Marshall Jr HS. In the evening she would then pick him up often having to wait. Then he would often work in the evening at home.

RLR

Royal’s letter to Martha #17 assumed written 9/26/1936

Dearest, Saturday Morning

I worked until about 10 last night and then went home and slept, ate breakfast, visited awhile, and then came back home this morning. I have just cleaned up neat as a new pin and I am ready to go to the office. I have to finish balancing the books and finish everything ready for the board meeting tonight. Everyone was well and in good spirits. My brother at home has a little coop [?], but he did not have much last year. My older brother is running three drills sowing wheat. He has several thousand acres to sow but will sow only a thousand acres unless more moisture come[s]. We had from seven to ten inches of snow.

I am still trying to trade cars. I may get the job done, if nothing happens.

I am moving into a smaller room today. I suppose I shall move at noon. The next letter you get from me will be from room three instead of room five. This will cut my rent some but the room will not be quite so nice, But really I think I can love you just as much from room three as five.

With Love from room
Five Measel [?] domicile,

Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home