Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Royal's letter to Martha #12 assumed date 9/17/1936

Letter 12. Assumed written 9/17/1936

It is interesting how things have changed. The janitor's and their wives served the lunch. The entertainment- Would we do such things today?

Royal was always good at tall tails or tails of any kind. He used to receive "Quote" news letter from Toast Masters which I think were always full of stories. He also had books that he would pull stories from. I remember once I was at a Lions Club lunch meeting, I think I was being honored for getting the Star rank in scouts. An older boy, in high school was there probably getting his Eagle, the highest rank in scouts, and Dad introduced him. I will use the name Walter but I am not sure who it was.

He told this story about Walter.

Walter had a girl friend he liked a lot, but the girl's father did not like Walter for some reason. The father took the girl aside and told her that Walter was like and old beat-up car. He said he is all rusty, his engine misses, and his fenders rattle. The girl looked at her father and thought for a few seconds and said, "Yes, but his clutch is good.". As I remember this got some good laughs and Walter turned red.

Also always the horse trader. He is going to ask the car salesman to throw in a free radio.


Thursday Nite
Dearest Martha;


We had one swell time at our picnic. The Janitors and their wives served the lunch. Weinners, buns, pickles, potato chips, mustard, marshmallows, cookies, and last fair ice cold watermelon. We played a guessing game with beans, jumped with the rope, told tall stories and blew up balloons. Given up I might say that yours truly received the Lyre for telling the biggest one. The party ended in a blaze of glory when the art teacher took the men into a huddle and allowed us to take kisses as we chose. The janitor gave kisses to the "gals". Our faculty are all a fine group. I really don't see how we did so well in choosing them. The load must have been on our side.

If I'm to have a gray car why not write on gray stationary. I might nget the car in two more weeks. I am going to try the man and see if he won't throw in a radio free.

I surely wish you could have been at the picnic. I needed you. It would have been quite nice for the Superintendent to have appeared with the wife. There will come a day. First payroll for this year comes out tomorrow. Teachers made a mad rush to get their certificates registered today so that they would be eligible.

Mr. Lewis is out of the bathroom and I must get in. I shall write you more in the morning if I have time. I may go with the bus driver on ine of the routes tomorrow morning. I wish I could see you, and just sit and look into your eyes.

Love,
Royal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home